Cabbage has always been a vegetable that’s regularly cooked in my mother`s home as its extremely nutritious and rich in vitamins and minerals. As a kid, I would hate the unpleasant aroma of cabbage in the process of getting cooked. My grandmother loved making Cabbage Thoran by simply garnishing cooked cabbage with a dash of roughly pulsed green chillies and coconut. The fresh raw spice from the green chillies, swathed on the seemingly innocent cabbage, would zing it up to a whole new level. I also make Cabbage Avial and sometimes simply season and cook cabbage and peas together. Still YUM! I was looking for a one pot meal to include cabbage and Mallika Badrinath`s version seemed to be on the same lines as my Pudina Rice Recipe. One can never ever go wrong with a mint-cilantro-green chilli base! I tweaked it by adding just cilantro! And we have a winner!!!
1 1/4 Cups Basmati Rice.
2 1/2 Cups Water.
A few drops of ghee/ oil.
3 Cups Cabbage Diced.
1/2 Cup Frizen Peas.
1 Onion diced fine.
1 Green Chilli Sliced long.
A pinch of turmeric.
Salt as needed.
Ground Masala Base:
1/3 Cup Grated Coconut .
1 Tbsp Pottu Kadalai/ Chutney Dhal/ Cashew Nuts.
1 Tsp Poppy Seeds/ khus Khus.
1 Inch Piece Cinnamon.
1 Bunch Tender Coriander Leaves.
2 Green Chillies.
3 Tbsp Oil/ Ghee.
1 Tsp Jeera.
1 Tsp Channa Dal.
1 Tsp Urad Dhal.
1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds.
A few broken cashew nuts.
6-7 Torn Curry Leaves.
1/4 Tsp Hing.
1/4 Tsp Cardamom Powdered (Optional)
- Wash the rice until the water is clear and add the measured water, a drop of ghee, and cook in the rice cooker. When done allow the rice to cool for some time.
- Grind all the ingredients that’s required for the masala base . Add the cashew/dalia, red chillies, whole spices, coconut and then finally the cilantro. Pulse to a dry rough mix.
- Take a large wok and add about 3 tbsp of oil. Temper with the above mentioned seasonings and add the diced onion and the sliced green chili.
- Add the pulsed masala mix and incorporate in to the kadai. Stir for a couple minutes.
- Add the shredded cabbage, peas, turmeric powder, a little salt and sprinkle a few drops of water. Cover and cook but take care that the cabbage never gets burnt.
- The cabbage has an unpleasant aroma when over cooked but since it cooks in the ground masala, this smell is completely morphed.
- When the cabbage is well cooked, add the cooked and cooled rice.
- Mix the rice in to the flavored cabbage in the kadai and gently turn without breaking the rice grains.
- When well mixed, taste and adjust for salt.
- Delicious cabbage rice can be served with Carrot Raita and chips.