- 2 cups All Purpose Flour.
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup hot water
- 6 oz (1 cup | 169g) semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
- Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
1. Prepare 2 9 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles in the bottom, and grease the sides. Preheat oven to 300°F (148°C).
2. Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together.
3. Add eggs, buttermilk and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Add vanilla to boiling water and add to mixture. Mix well.
5. Divide batter evenly between cakes pans and bake for 30-33 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
6. Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
7. Prepare ganache by heating the heavy whipping cream on low hear just until it begins to boil, then pour it over the chocolate chips. Allow it to sit for 2-3 minutes, then whisk until smooth.warming chocolate chips
8. Place first layer of cake on cake plate. Spread the softest chocolate frosting on top of the base cake layer. Spread about a few tsp of prepared ganache and allow to drip.
9. Add second layer of cake and frost the entire cake on all sides.
10.Now add more ganache on the top and allow to drip. Use a squeeze bottle to allow it to drip on the sides.
11. Add a few sprinkles to the cake, if desired, then serve. Cake is best when well covered for 3-4 days. I used edible silver and rose petals for this one as I had baked this for a dear friend, who loves roses.
12. Many times I use only frosting or ganache interchangeably depending on how quickly I want to whip up the cake and the ingredient in my pantry!!!
Wholly Inspired by Lindsay`s Best Chocolate Cake Recipe & @hersheys.