One of the best things that I love about eggless cake is the ability to feast on it without any fear of day or occassion. I always seemed to run out of ideas for a sweet as a Naivedhyam on Fridays and for other gatherings. This is a great option for those quick last minute addition to picnics or parties…
All purpose flour – 2 cups
Whole Milk – 2 cups
Sugar – 1 1/4 cups
Oil – 1/2 cup
Vanilla Essence – 1 – 2 Tsp
Cocoa Powder – 1/4 cup. (Optionally you could use Bournvita too, but watch out for your sugar proportions!)
Orange zest – From one whole orange.
Baking soda – 1 Tsp
Baking Powder – 1 Tsp
Orange food color – A pinch
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and keep the baking tray all ready by spraying it with butter spray or lining it with parchment paper.
- Measure out the milk, and add the oil, pure vanilla extract and sugar and whisk to dissolve any clumps.
- Take another dry mixing bowl and measure out the 2 cups of flour. The measure should be levelled and exact and not heaped.
- To this add the baking soda and baking powder and mix lightly.
- Slowly incorporate the dry mixture little by little in to the wet mix and whisk lightly taking caution not to overmix as this might remove all the air and rob the cake of the sponginess.
- This your base cake batter. Remove two small portions to incorporate the orange and the choclate flavour.
- To one portion add the bournvita/cocoa powder and mix well.
- To the second portion of batter add a pinch of orange food colour and all of the orange zest.
- Now take a heavy 9″ pan and pour out the plain vanilla batter.
- Take the chocolate batter and randomly pour it in the cake pan.
- Now repeat the process with the orange portion.
- With a butter knife/toothpick in any direction to create a marble effect.
- Pop the cake pan and allow 35 – 40 mins for the cake to get done.Make sure by inserting a tooth pick to see if it comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and enjoy heavenly scented cake afloat with the aromas from the orange zest and vanilla.