One of the best things that I love about eggless cake is the ability to feast on it without any fear of day or occassion. I always seemed to run out of ideas for a sweet as a Naivedhyam on Fridays and for other gatherings. This is a great option for those quick last minute addition to picnics or parties…
All purpose flour – 2 cups
Whole Milk – 2 cups
Sugar – 1 1/4 cups
Oil – 1/2 cup
Vanilla Essence – 1 – 2 Tsp
Cocoa Powder – 1/4 cup. (Optionally you could use Bournvita too, but watch out for your sugar proportions!)
Orange zest – From one whole orange.
Baking soda – 1 Tsp
Baking Powder – 1 Tsp
Orange food color – A pinch
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and keep the baking tray all ready by spraying it with butter spray or lining it with parchment paper.
- Measure out the milk, and add the oil, pure vanilla extract and sugar and whisk to dissolve any clumps.
- Take another dry mixing bowl and measure out the 2 cups of flour. The measure should be levelled and exact and not heaped.
- To this add the baking soda and baking powder and mix lightly.
- Slowly incorporate the dry mixture little by little in to the wet mix and whisk lightly taking caution not to overmix as this might remove all the air and rob the cake of the sponginess.
- This your base cake batter. Remove two small portions to incorporate the orange and the choclate flavour.
- To one portion add the bournvita/cocoa powder and mix well.
- To the second portion of batter add a pinch of orange food colour and all of the orange zest.
- Now take a heavy 9″ pan and pour out the plain vanilla batter.
- Take the chocolate batter and randomly pour it in the cake pan.
- Now repeat the process with the orange portion.
- With a butter knife/toothpick in any direction to create a marble effect.
- Pop the cake pan and allow 35 – 40 mins for the cake to get done.Make sure by inserting a tooth pick to see if it comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and enjoy heavenly scented cake afloat with the aromas from the orange zest and vanilla.
13 thoughts on “Eggless Vanilla-Choclate-Orange Marble Cake.”
Nice cake recipe. We really enjoyed it on the day you made it.
Rekha.. A small correction. Its not “you”, it “Aruna and you”. Grr..
Tried chocolate – Bournvita cake. instead of marble cake as per the proportions mentioned in ur site. Came out real good and Veena grabbed 3 pieces of it leaving the box empty! Thanks shoba for the recipe.
Thanks Aruna. Glad that you liked it. Bournvita is an excellent option in an Eggless cake instead of cocoa powder.
Hi Shoba, one pan of eggless cake is in the oven right now!! I started making and realised I do not have any oranges, so have added lemon instead!!! And saffron instead of orange powder, now all my fingers are crossed!
Hi Shoba, you have a neat website. This recipe is very simple and flavorful too.
Great recipe..tried it today..thanks.
Thanks for the comment. Glad that you liked it.
I make, I make this. I add Orange Juice also, No add Food Colour Make Only White and Brown marble cake. It make good contrast. Love the flavour. Thanks for the eggless recipe.
First eggless recipe for my son that actually tastes NORMAL! I love this recipe. It makes great cupcakes as well – 20 minutes bake time and they are perfect. And i agree with Anagh – OJ and no food coloring if you are going to go with orange flavor. My son prefers just the chocolate and vanilla, though. Great recipe, Shoba.
Thanks so much Kathleen. Glad your son loved it.
1 cup = 200 ml cup
Have you used red cups in your recipes?
@Neelam..what are red cups? I use the standard Kitchen Aid Measuring Cups. Hope this answers your question.