Some of our most favourite foods would always be comfort foods made by our mothers or grandmothers that we have grown used to eating over our childhood years. In fact all of the palakkad cuisine cooked at home, translates to comfort food for me many times, being so far away from home. Most of our comfort foods are those that are whipped up with very few ingredients and in a short time. This kootu is something of a comfort food made by my mother in law…Teamed with Jeera Pepper Rasam and Paruppu Urindai Kuzhambu, this is a keeper!!!
2 Zucchinis diced in to small pieces.
Handful of Peas.
1/2 cup Moong Dal.
Salt to taste.
Mustard to Season.
To Roast in Oil and Grind to a smooth paste:
1/2 Spoon Pepper.
3 Red Chillies.
4 Spoons of Split Urad Dal.
Pinch of Hing.
Handful of fresh coconut.
- Cook the moong dal in water to a soft consistency. Mash and set aside.
- Cook the zucchini in the microwave for 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a kadai, add a spoon of oil and season with mustard,hing and curry leaves.
- Now add the cooked zucchini, peas, and the cooked moong dal. Add turmeric, salt and a pinch of hing and a little water if needed. Cook to bring them together for about 3-4 minutes.
- Roast the ingredients listed above in a little oil and grind with water to a smooth paste.
- Add the ground paste to the zucchini and stir in well.
- Serve HOT with Jeera Pepper Rasam and Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu.
8 thoughts on “Zucchinni & Peas Poricha Kootu. ( Zuchinni and Peas simmered in ground coconut paste with spices.)”
I never thought of making out dishes together with zucchini and peas, kootu looks extremely delicious…
Zucchini in a poricha kootu..wow, now east meets west 🙂
I usually try mixed veggies combo..
My comfort food for sure. Give me some rasam and kootu and I will be a happy soul. You have put a smile on my face today.
hey this looks so delicious..good use of zucchini..good blend of coconut and other spices..
looks yummy! will try it soon
It’s me R’s mom from your apartment only, remember we talked other day in the library, thought I’ll pass u my email so when ever u get time pass me the pics & also leaving u the link to home remedies(on my blog) we were talking for baby/kids cold, just in case if u ever need……btw nice way to mix lentil & veggies, looks delicious…….
Love the recipes… Are you a mallu by any chance… asked frm the poriyals 😉
n the koote … i just started mt first food post