Some of our most favourite foods would always be comfort foods made by our mothers or grandmothers that we have grown used to eating over our childhood years. In fact all of the palakkad cuisine cooked at home, translates to comfort food for me many times, being so far away from home. Most of our comfort foods are those that are whipped up with very few ingredients and in a short time. This kootu is something of a comfort food made by my mother in law…Teamed with Jeera Pepper Rasam and Paruppu Urindai Kuzhambu, this is a keeper!!!
2 Zucchinis diced in to small pieces.
Handful of Peas.
1/2 cup Moong Dal.
Salt to taste.
Mustard to Season.
To Roast in Oil and Grind to a smooth paste:
1/2 Spoon Pepper.
3 Red Chillies.
4 Spoons of Split Urad Dal.
Pinch of Hing.
Handful of fresh coconut.
- Cook the moong dal in water to a soft consistency. Mash and set aside.
- Cook the zucchini in the microwave for 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a kadai, add a spoon of oil and season with mustard,hing and curry leaves.
- Now add the cooked zucchini, peas, and the cooked moong dal. Add turmeric, salt and a pinch of hing and a little water if needed. Cook to bring them together for about 3-4 minutes.
- Roast the ingredients listed above in a little oil and grind with water to a smooth paste.
- Add the ground paste to the zucchini and stir in well.
- Serve HOT with Jeera Pepper Rasam and Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu.