Many times, the menu for dinner or lunch is completely directed by the ingredients in the pantry. Most vegetables are bought from the store, with a particular preparation in mind, and most of the times, never really gets in to the Most Wanted Dish!!! I would have selected fresh spring onions to make spring rolls or chinese noodles, but end up using them in soup instead, or even a kootu!!! Pudina would have been carefully selected, wrapped and stored to make spicy pudina rice, but could conveniently end up becoming a side dish in the form of Pudina Chutney for Dosa or Idlis!!! Last week I had got fresh capsicums to make Capsicum Subji that my husband loves, but ended up in a one pot dish for this Quick Fix Paneer Capsicum Rice!!!
1 1/2 Cups of Fragrant Basmati Rice cooked with 3 cups of water.
2 Fresh Capsicums sliced thin.
1/3 cup of Panner Cubes .
1 spoon of Ghee.
A Pinch of Garam Masala.
1 spoon of Somph/ Shahi Jeera.
8 Green Chillies slit vertically.
1/2 Spoon of Jeera
1 0r 2 Bay Leaves.
A few Broken Cashew Halves.
- Take a wide mouthed kadai and add 2 spoons of ghee. Allow to heat.
- Add the seasonings one by one – Cloves, Shahi Jeera, Jeera, Cashews, slit green chillies and curry leaves. Allow to saute for a few minutes and for the aromas to waft. This is important as at this point the spice of the chillies sink in to the oil.
- Add the chopped capsicum pieces and mix in well with the seasonings. Add sufficient salt for the capsicum.
- Keep the cooked rice spread out on a plate so it removes the starchiness from them.
- In a few minutes the capsicum begins to sweat and reduce in size and quantity.
- Add the cooked rice, salt for the rice, a pinch of your favourite garam masala and mix in well.
- Now at this stage, add the chopped paneer and finish up the rice by adding a garnish of chopped cilantro.
- This rice preparation is very simple and very flavourful as the main aroma comes from the seasonings and the chillies.
- Serve with simple Onion Raita or Dal Makhani.
- Peas can be added for more nutrition and taste.
- Onions can be sauted too for added flavour.