Dill has been a relatively new herb to me as I have never tasted it growing up. There are certain fruits and vegetable that we have always kept away, never knowing why. I am guessing dill was one such herb. I do remember seeing bunches here and there in Chennai, some years back, but I have never tried to cook with it! In the US, dill is pretty much a common addition to dips and sauces. Last year when I went to India, my sister made this amazing Dill Dhal, and I was a sucker for it. When I came back I pretty much started finding ways to add it to my weekly grocery shopping. When I had to decide on a lunch menu for my 9 year old, I decided to make a pesto with the dill, almost similar to the one we make with basil. Well, and why not? I didnt have pine nuts and I was always looking for excuses to sneak in walnuts in my little one food, so I decided to use the walnuts instead. ..Yes, you could never make out! The pesto was aromatic, flavourful, lemony, garlicky and yummy! I used cheese ravioli as the base and dressed it pretty with the green pesto! Go on and try it!
2 Cups Dill.
12 Almond Pieces/Walnut Pieces.
1/4 Cup Olive Oil.
6 Garlic Pods.
Salt to taste.
1/2 Lemon Juice.
1 Tsp Lemon Zest.
- Take a food processor jar and pop all the walnuts/almonds and the garlic pods in to the jar. Give it a quick pulse.
- Now add the chopped dill, salt, lemon zest and pulse again.
- Continue pulsing until roughly chopped and slowly add the olive oil until the desired consistency is reached.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 weeks.
TO USE LEMON DILL PESTO AS A SAUCE:
- Cook the desired pasta until its al-dente and save a little of the salted pasta water.
- In a wok, add some extra virgin olive oil, herbs de provence, and then the dill pesto.
- After a light saute, add the cooked pasta and the pasta water.
- Swirl in and toss.
- Serve hot with a garnish of your favourite shredded cheese.
TO USE LEMON DILL PESTO AS A DIP:
- Combine lemon dill pesto with a spoon of cream cheese/ mascarpone cheese and some sour cream/hung curd.
- Adjust salt to suit your taste.
- lemon Dill Pesto makes an earthy dip filled with tons of flavour and zest.
6 thoughts on “Lemony Dill Pesto.”
Can guess the flavour of this pesto,dill and lemon thats an interesting combo..
thanks for your comments Priya. How are you doing?
i love the way u used dill leaves….pasta looks very tempting with this amazing pesto…thanks for sharing
Super Yummy Recipes
thanks so much for the comments.
Looks delicious….flavourful yummy dish…love it…
I love the idea of swirling Dill into Pesto.. this looks so amazing..
Your newest follower, looking forward for such wonderful recipes.. 🙂