I have always loved the flavour of Hyderabadi Dum Biriyani which is slow cooked in the dum with the flavours of various layers of rice and marinated vegetables, intermingled with the aroma of cilantro, mint and spices. My neighbour in Bangalore Gayathri always used to make Hyderabadi Vegetable Biriyani and share it with me. On one occasion, when her mom was visiting her, she offered to teach me to make it the elaborate way, with loads of ghee and oil, marinated vegetables etc and the end result was an extremely delicate taste of the biriyani which would explode in to a hundred flavours in the mouth. This is a version made WITHOUT A DROP OF OIL, on requests from many of my readers. Please feel free to add ghee if needed and if you feel that its very dry.
2 Cups Basmati Rice.
4 Cups Water.
1 Onion diced small.
1 Onion diced in to long slices.
2 Medium Carrots diced.
20 Florets of Cauliflower.
1 Cup French Beans diced.
3/4 Cup Green Peas.
6-8 Green Cardamom Pods.
2 Large Black Cardamom.
1 Bay Leaf.
1 1/2 Inch Cinnamon Stick.
1 Tsp Caraway/ Shahi Jeera.
2 Tbsp Fresh Ginger Garlic Paste.
1 Tsp Turmeric Powder.
1 Tbsp Red Chilli Powder.
1 Tbsp Dhania Powder.
1/2 Cup Yoghurt.
1/2 Tsp Rose Water.
1 Cup Tomato Puree.
A few strands of saffron.
1 Tsp Garam Masala.
1/4 Cup Chopped Corriander.
1/4 Cup Chopped Mint.
- Wash the basmati rice a couple times and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Move the rice to a rice cooker and add 3 green cardamom, one black cardamom, 5 cloves and a 1/2 inch of cinnamon. Cook until 3/4`ths done and set aside. Drain excess water and allow to cool for some time.
- In a non stick pan add the remaining green cardamoms, black cardamom, clove, cinnamon, caraway seeds and bay leaf. Saute for a couple of minutes and add the onions, carrots, cauliflower, french beans and green peas.
- Add a little salt and the ginger garlic paste and mix well. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and dhania powder.
- Around the same time, heat a cast iron skillet and spread the long slices of onions on the tava. Keep the flame on medium low and allow to grill/ carmelise.
- Whisk yoghurt with rose water and saffron. If the consistency is too thick feel free to add a little milk to make it creamy. Set aside.
- At this time, pour in the tomato puree in to the pan along with 1/2 tsp Garam Masala and mix well.Simmer for about two minutes.
- Take a large glass bowl or simply use the rice container in the rice cooker.
- Arrange a layer of rice at the bottom. Over that, arrange half of the cooked vegetables followed by another layer of rice. Sprinkle half of the remaining 1/2 Tsp garam masala powder, half the coriander leaves, half the mint leaves and half the yogurt mixture. Sprinkle a little of the carmelized onions.
- Arrange the remaining vegetables followed by the remaining rice.
- Sprinkle remaining yogurt mixture, mint leaves, corriander leaves and the grilled onions. Cover with a silicon lid and cook in the microwave oven for four to five minutes on HIGH (100%). Else finish up the cooking in the rice cooker for about 7 minutes or so. Please keep checking to make sure that the rice is cooked well enough to be served.
- Let it stand for five minutes, garnish with more finely chopped cilantro and then serve.
- Scoop out vertically down so you can get the rice and the vegetables in one scoop.
- Hot Hyderabadi Dum Biriyani without a drop of oil is ready to be served with cold Carrot Raita.