These Eggless Princess Cookies with Hearts of Strawberry Jam are really easy and an awesome addition to a valentine party at your kids school or a birthday party! These are easily flexible and can be turned around to create any cookie. WIth a dash of dried cranberries it gets a tart taste and looks so pretty. Add bits of orange zest and essence and some orange vegetable food colour to make a cookie for Halloween! Add bits of chocolate chips, peppermint barks, heath toffee bits and pllay around with it. Today I added rose essence and bits of rose petals for a refreshing change from the regular Eggless Choco Chip that I normally make for the kids. With some leftover dough I baked hearts and dunked half of each cookie in to melted chocolate. One dough – two cookies…Smart arent I??
2 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour.
2 Sticks of Butter at room temperature.
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar.
1/3 Cup Light Brown Sugar or White Sugar.
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder.
1 Tsp Vanilla Essence.
2 Tsp of Strawberry Jam.
1/4 Tsp Rose Essence. (Optional).
A pinch of salt.
Rose petals fresh/ dried crushed to little bits. (Optional)
- Cream the sugar and the butter on medium speed on a stand mixer using the whip attachment. Once its incorporated add vanilla essence , rose essence and rose bits. You can add a few drops of Vegetable based food coloring.
- In a dry container add the flour, baking powder and salt and give it a quick mix with your spoon.
- Slowly add the flour in to the mixing bowl and beat it in on low speed. Continue and finish all the flour. Loved the little specks of red in the dough!!
- Remove from the mixing bowl and using your fingers, knead lightly to form a smooth flat disc. Wrap with cling film and refrigerate for about 30 mins.
- Now there are loads of arguments on chilling cookie dough and whether it really adds to the flavour, texture and buttery taste. But I rarely plan ahead for a cookie.
- When I decide to make a batch of cookies, I just go ahead and make it. I did have some errands to run before rolling out the dough , so I thought hey why not?
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and If you find that its too hard, allow it to rest for a couple minutes until you get your stuff ready.
- Spread the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and using a rolling pin, roll it in to 1 – 1 1/2 inch thickness.
- Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out perfect heart cookies and place them 1 inch apart on a lined cookie pan.
- Take out remaining dough, shape them in to a ball, flatten them out again and re cut more heart shaped cookies. Continue until you exhaust most of the cookie dough. Feel free to sample the remaining dough!!
- Using the back of a wooden spatula make a small little indentation in the centre of the heart cookie and fill with a small scoop of strawberry jam.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and place the cookies in the top rack.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes until the cookies are cooked . Whats that? How to check if they are done?
- Well, it varies with each type of cookies, but for this one, when you see that the cookie is firm and the ends and the bottom has a beautiful golden colour, its good to go!
CHOCOLATE BETTER HALF COOKIES!!
- I had some of the cookies which I did not fill with Strawberry Jam Heart, so I simply dunked half of the baked cookie into a bowl of melted chocolate and sprinkled them with red coloured sugar sprinkles….Chocolate Better Half Cookies were soft, crumbly, decadent and extremely delicious!!!