Sounds wierd huh? I did too when my mami told me that she had learnt this from a friend. But I really loved it when I had it as it had a very offbeat taste completely different from the regular garam masala flavours of the biriyani, pulav and the like. It`s a rice entree that one can make on no-onion days with a side of tomato-cucumber raita and still feel like you have had a wholesome meal. All it needs is a cup of cut beans to work its way to a winning dish. You could throw in peas, mushrooms,long bean or carrots but I primarily make it with beans.
A pound of beans chopped.
A cup of peas. (optional)c
2 cups of basmati rice cooked and cooled.
1 spoon of broken urad dhal.
2 1/2 spoons of dhania
2 1/2 spoons of bengal gram.
4 red Chillies.
1 inch piece of cinnamon.
3/4 spoon of elaichi seeds.
Oil, Bengal Gram, Cashews, Curry Leaves, Hing, jeera.
- Keep the cooked rice spread out on a plate to cool. Sprinkle sufficient salt on the rice and keep ready.
- In a pan, pour 2 spoons of oil and roast the elaichi, cinnamon,cloves,red chillies,dhania,urad dhal and bengal gram until the lentils turn to a dull brown . Cool and pulse in the mixer to get a coarse powder.
- Microwave on HIGH for about 4 mins the chopped beans without adding any water. This would cut the cooking time on the stove to half.
- Take a wide mouthed kadai and 2-3 spoons of oil, add the seasonings and the beans.
- Sprinkle a pinch of turmeric, and sufficient salt for the beans and cook for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the ground masala and mix it in for a couple minutes and then add the rice.
- Mix it all in and garnish with squeezed lemon and dessicated coconut.
- Serve HOT with cucumber raita.
- You could cook the rice with 3 spoons of coconut milk added to the water, for enhanced flavour and richness.
- If the rice tends to be a little dry overall, add a spoon of ghee at the very end.
5 thoughts on “20 Minute Beans Rice.”
Beans rice sounds interesting and different from our usual pulaos.
I had the great opportunity to taste this delicacy made by Shobha herself…
It was really YUM!!!!
Indha weekend beans rice dhan….
thanks vidhya…this post also especially goes to you…”neyar viruppam”!!!!
Today i tried this beans rice….. It came out really well….. My son doesn’t eat new food that easily….But he liked this rice and asked more…. Thanx Shobha….
tried this today and it was really yummy..really different because it has no onion n garlic like the usual pulaos