Succulent Gulab Jamuns.
Gulab Jamuns should probably be one of the most popular and easy to make sweets with the current variety of mixes and fast fix instructions. There are a myraid of brands which offer the Gulab Jamun mixes, like Orkay, MTR, Gits, Ashirwaad etc. Some how my favourite has always been Orkay and Gits. Since Gits is more easily available in the U.S, its a sweet I make in a jiffy.
Diwali during my student days was always a flurry of activities like making Mixture, Ribbon Pakoda, Laddoo, Badam Halwa, and Gulab Jamuns amoung other things. Making the jamuns was some thing that amma would leave entirely to me….At that time Archana Sweets in T.Nagar, became very popular and introduced the Kala Jamun. I guess it was a variant of the regular jamuns, only denser in taste and not dripping in sugar syrup. Mom would buy it for us and we would enjoy it at home, nevertheless, there is a particular joy in partaking of sweets borne of out one`s one labour and preparation.
This week was my husband`s birthday and my daughter wanted me to make it for him. ….Secretly I knew, she wanted to have it so I immediately indulged her in this sweet temptation. This goes to those novices who are out there, trying this for the first time….Enjoy!!!
Gits Gulab Jamun Mix.
1 spoon sour cream.
3 spoons of water.
1 1/2 cup of sugar dissolved in 2 cups of water.
Pinch of Rose Essence.
Pinch of Cardamom Powder.
- The secret of this sweet is in the mixing of the dough. Empty contents of packet in to a bowl. Mostly the instructions are to measure out the amount of powder and use 1/4`th of that quantity of water. In this case, all you need to use is a spoon of sour cream or thick yoghurt and then 2-3 spoons of water.
- Make the dough in to a thick ball and keep covered for 10 minutes.
- Now grease your palm and make little balls and set aside covered.
- Meanwhile dissolve the sugar in the water and place it on the stove .
- Add rose water, cardamom powder and allow to boil for about ten minutes and switch off.
- Meanwhile add sufficient oil in a kadai and allow to the oil to heat well.
- Slowly roll in the gulab jamun balls and aloow to fry the balls in oil.
- Now set the fried jamuns in a little bowl for them to cool off for a few seconds.
- Slowly add the fried jamuns in to the rose syrup and allow it to soak before serving it to your guests.
- Makes 20 gulab jamuns.
Serving Suggestion based on popular demand!!! – Hot Jamuns with Vanilla Ice Cream….Oh yes! and let the fun times begin!!!