This was the Vegetble Rice that my mum used to make on those special sundays for lunch. Sunday mornings would be normally filled with strict timelines as all of us would want to have our oil baths and water would some times be restricted to specified times in the summer. A filling lunch of Amma`s Vegetable Rice, with Raita would always be something to look forward to. She always adds beetroot, which renders a special reddish tinge to the whole dish. It is very simple and easy and pretty much can be made with any vegetable thats available on hand.
I would cut the veggies in to little cubes for her,and this would make the whole thing very easy. It`s a wholesome, easy, colourful and filling lunch and I always pack it for long drives and potlucks!!!!
2 cups of basmati rice cooked.
1 Medium Onion chopped in to little pieces.
1 cup of finely diced potatoes.
1 cup of cauliflower florets.
1 cup of finely chopped carrots.
1/2 cup of chopped beetroot.
1/2 cup of peas.
1/2 cup of beans.
A pinch of turmeric.
1 spoon of red chilli powder.
Garam Masala Powder to taste.
3 slices of bread. (Optional)
Chopped Corriander to garnish.
Jeera and Star Anise to season.
- Keep the cooked basmati rice to cool so it does not get sticky with the starch.
- Take a wide mouthed kadai and add 2 spoons of ghee/oil and allow to get hot. When done, add jeera, star anise and curry leaves and immediately add the chopped onions.
- You could pre-cook the potatoes, carrots, beetroots and cauliflower in the microwave for 4 minutes to it saves cooking time on the stove.
- When the onions are well cooked, add all the veggies.
- Add salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and a little garam masala and mix well.
- Keep the flame on medium and allow the veggies to get cooked well.
- Cut the bread slices in to big squares and lightly fry them in a spoon of ghee. Set aside.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add the basmati rice, salt, a little more garam masala and stir in well.
- Finally add the fried bread pieces and mix it in and garnish with chopped corriander.
- Serve Hot with mixed vegetable raitha.