5 Ingredients Only- Easy Capsicum Subzi.
Capsicum is a vegetable that comes in an exciting range of colours – red, green, yellow and orange, each of them unique in their form and taste. The bell peppers are rich in vitmains and protien and is a natural anti-oxidant and helps wards off infections. Bell Peppers are amognst the most versatile vegetable as they render a unique taste to any dish they are added to, or are involved in elevating the taste of the dish in which is it the main ingredient. They are a part of my weekly grocery shopping list and get cooked at least twice every week. Imagine the possibilities – Capsicum fried rice, capsicum pulav, stuffed capsicum , capsicum kootu, capsicum sambar, grilled capsicum in gumbos and burro bowls, in salads and panninis, in pastas and curries..
This is a traditional south indian method of cooking this vegetable, that goes well with sambar or rasam.
3 Green Bell Peppers
1 Medium Onion Chopped.
4 spoons of besan or gramflour.
Oil as required.
Mustard, Broken Urad Dhal, Curry Leaves.
- In a kadai, add 2 spoons of oil and when hot, add broken urad dhal, mustard and curry leaves.
- When the mustard splutters and the urad dhal is a little browned, add the chopped onions. Allow the onions to brown gradually, as the flavour of the subzi is in this step.
- Now add the chopped capsicum, the required salt and mix well. Allow to cook well, for about 15 minutes as capsicum cooks very fast.
- Finally, add the 3-4 spoons of besan and mix it in. The besan embraces the aromas and flavours of the cooked vegetables and dissolves in to the subzi.
- Serve with a pinch of lemon juice and chopped cilantro.