Mixed Vegetable Semiya Upma is one of my all time favourite dinner options. Its simple as its the same concept as a simple rice pulav, versatile as I can throw in whatever veggies that I have left in the pantry and vermicelli hardly takes any time to cook. In all, its a simple substitute for rice for making Lemon Semiya Upma, Tomato Semiya Upma etc. This was a mish mash of veggies in the pantry, made steaming hot on a cold weeknight enjoyed with chutney, and chips!!!
2 Green Chillies Chopped fine.
1 Tsp Chopped Ginger.
1 Tsp Chopped Garlic.
Handful of broken cashews.
1 Medium Onion Chopped fine.
1 Medium Tomato Chopped.
2 Carrots diced fine.
1/2 cup baby corn thawed.
Handful of thawed Sweet Peas.
2 Cups Vermicelli cooked as per instructions and drained on colander.
- Apply a few drops on oil on the cooked vermicelli and keep it aside. This is so that the vermicelli does not stick to each other and become a gooey mass.
- Microwave all the veggies – Carrots, Beans, peas, corn etc for 3-4 minutes so they are almost half cooked.
- In a kadai, a spoon of oil and allow to heat up. Add mustard, curry leaves, ginger, garlic, green chillies and allow to crackle for a few minutes.
- When done, add the chopped onions and saute it well.
- When the onions have turned a dull brown, add the diced tomatoes and allow it to get mushy and cook through until all the water has disappeared.
- Add salt, turmeric, the half cooked veggies and allow a couple of minutes for it to cook through.
- Now add the cooked vermicelli and mix it well.
- Add more salt and bring the veggie semiya upma together.
- Add a drop of ghee, garnish with chopped cilantro and keep it closed until its ready to be served with Cilantro Chutney.
17 thoughts on “Mixed Vegetable Semiya Upma.”
I love that texture Shoba. one of my favorites quick lunches. I’m sure the corn tastes good in upma. Nice!
mmmm..my favourite:):):) looks delicious!
Colorful upma. And in my house,semiya upma is welcome any time of the day
Mouthwatering and beautiful looking upma, very tempting..
My all time comfort food! In fact it is tonight’s dinner here! Looks colourful with the healthy looking carrots and sweet corn.
that looks mouthwatering. i’ve never made with vegetables. will try once .
Yummy upma.. I love it 🙂
wow! looks yummy like maggi noodles.. will try it soon and let you know how it came 🙂
I love corn in anything…this was for Sneha to trap her in to eatng the upma!
@ Jyo, thank you for your comments.
@ Jay, I know you like them a lot!!!
@ Chitra, @ Priya,
it was very delish. After a loong day its nie to have comfort foods like these …specially if they are steaming hot.
@ Dhanya, Please let me know how they turned out.
@ kavitha, inga vaa and we can make much more!!!
OMG!!!!!!!!!!! That loooooooooks soooo good…
That will be for dinner tonight.
Thanks for the recipe.
Yumm!! One of my favourite snack!!
I love your recipies…. I too would like to try my hands on Baking cookies/cakes, however I do not have an oven, just the microwave. Is there a way i could do the biscuits / cakes in a microwave-not sure about the concept of pre heatng oven?
Lovely looking upma. I make it usually on Sunday mornings. My whole family loves it. Addition of corn gives a good taste.
Beautifully presented dear. I love the close-up of this upma. I love semiya upma very much. You have tempted me now. I will have to make it soon 🙂
Nice and well explained semiya Uppama thanks for the recipe
too good piece of information, I had come to know about your site from my friend veni, bangalore,i have read atleast 11 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your web-page gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i’m already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new post, once again hats off to you! Thanks a lot once again, Regards,