Yesterday I had a particular craving for the hotel sambar from Saravana Bhavan in Chennai and I could not wish this out of my head. There are days when you are far away from home and you crave for amma`s chutney , pulikachal or sambar. This was borne out of an accident in my kitchen yesterday and I decided this was going to be a regular. I meant to make ” Dhal” for parathas and decided I was going to go ahead and make the Hotel Sambar anyways! So i used more moong dal in this dish, and to my surprise, it was almost close to the version of hotel sambar that is replicated at home. I am sure, we can never get the secret of Saravana Bhavan style sambar!!!
1 Medium Onion.
4 Roma Tomatoes/ Vine Tomatoes.
1 Tsp Grand sweets Vethakuzhambu Powder.
1 Tsp Rasam Powder.
1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder.
1 cup Moong Dal cooked mushy.
1/4 Cup Toor Dhal cooked mushy.
Cilantro for garnishing.
1 Tsp Mustard.
1 Tsp Jeera.
- Cook the Moong Dal in ample water unless its soft and squishy. Mash well and set aside.
- In a kadai, add 2 tsp oil and then the seasonings – Mustard, Jeera, Curry Leaves and then the hing.
- Now add the chopped onions and saute until they are beautiful golden brown colour.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric, vethakuzhambu powder, rasam powder, red chilli powder and allow to saute well until all the water is almost evaporated.
- Now add the mushy moong dal and toor dal to the kadai and a little more water and some more salt for the dals added.
- Swirl on a little bit until its gets to a nice sambar like consistency and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Enjoy Hotel style Tomato Sambar with crisp Ragi Dosas or Soft Fluffy Idlis.
12 thoughts on “Hotel Style Tomato Sambar – Side for Dosa / Idlis.”
I would like to have with some hot steaming idlies..tempting sambar..
looks so tempting,…;-)
Truly delicious !!.. Amazing shots 🙂
Tomato Sambhar looks yum and delicious.
delicious sambhar..never tried with moong dhal gonna try it soon..:)
That looks yummy!!
Delicous looking sambhar. Wishing you and your family merry christmas and Happy New year.
While back, I received this recipe for Taj Prakash hotel sambar. Cook thur dhal with few tomatoes in the pressure cooker. In a kadai, fry the seasonings, few slit green chillies and onions. Then, add water, salt and sambar powder and boil. Add the cooked dhal with tomatoes and you are done!
I love your recipes, could you give me the recipe for vethakulumbu powder, i could not find it in Chicago in any indian stores.Thanks