I guess this Kootu is built on the lines of the Kosumalli. The only difference is that this quick preparation, the moong dal is cooked over the stove top. This quick kootu can be used as a side for any sambar or vethal kuzhambu and also as a side for rotis and phulkas. Cucumbers are a water based vegetable and hence a diuritic and rich in vitamins. It gives a feeling of being filled and is widely used by people on diets. In my opinion, the cucumber is a versatile fruit that is tasty eaten in any form. Its used in salads, pickled in vinegar, in curries, in south indian cooking, and even as a thirst quencher.
This is an excellent recipe for people looking to cut calories as this is filling and wholesome, with no coconut, but contains cucumber, and moong dal which has lesser carbs than toor dhal or bengal gram. This is also an excellent recipe for diabetics as with parathas, it quenches the dryness and is filling.
2 cucumbers peeled and diced.
1/2 cup of moong dal.
Cialntro to garnish.
Mustard, Curry Leaves, Hing.
- In a kadai, add a spoon of oil and when it heats, add the mustard and curry leaves and hing. Now immediately add the washed and cleaned moong dal.
- Pour in 1/2 cup of water add salt for the moong dal and turmeric .
- Allow the moong dal to cook in the water. If you feel that the water is used up and the moong is not yet cooked, feel free to add another 1/4 cup more.
- When the moong dal is cooked well, simply add the chopped raw cucumber pieces.
- Add sufficient salt and mix well to get desired consistency and switch off the heat.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with Parathas or Vengaya Sambar or Vethal Kuzhambu.
7 thoughts on “Ten Minute Healthy Cucumber Kootu.”
This is a comfort for spring and summer, totally yummy… The idea of serving this with sambhar is cool…
Really a dish in a jiffy and tasty and healthy to boot…what more can I ask for…trying this out for today and will let you know how it came out
Simple n yummy! You can send this to Mahimaa’s 15 minute cooking..
nice & simple recipe…but can we add some pepper jeera powder or sambhar powder to enhance the taste???
sure vidhya…i only add 2 green chillies….
can u also post the recipe of the capsicum gravy (the home page pic which u had earlier)