Kuzhi Paniyaram ( Delicious Chettinad Speciality made from Dosa Batter)
The first time ever that I had Kuzhi Paniyaram was in this colleague`s home in Chennai. My friend`s mother had made delicious soft, fluffy paniyarams and served it ith spicy tomato chutney. I am guessing that day I lost track of the number I had at her place. Kuzhi basically means a depression” and since this is made in the tava that has little depressions, the name came to be Kuzhi Paniyaram.
Grand Sweets and Snacks in Adyar also serve hot Kuzhi Paniyarams made right in front of your eyes and served with Tomato Chutney. Since they are so small and so soft, ita makes an ideal snack item for the evening. It can be fixed in a jiffy and is made from Dosa Batter so even a small portion of leftover batter makes around 20-25 paniyarams. This evening my daughter wanted a filling snack and asked for dosa. The batter was already 3 days old and I was not too keen on making dosas for her. Suddenly I realised that I could make this for her and she would instantly love it as its also bite sized. Great with a hot cuppa coffee!!!
1 cup of dosa batter.
1 Medium Onion or 2 small finely chopped.
3 green chillies finely chopped.
1 inch piece of ginger finely chopped.
A few slivers of coconut if needed.
Oil to cook.
Mustard, Curry Leaves and Hing to season.
- The consistency of the batter should be just like dosa batter or else a tad loose. If it is too thick, you could thin it by adding a few spoons of coconut milk.
- In a kadai, add a spoon of oil and when hot pop the mustard, curry leaves, green chillies, ginger, coconut slivers and hing and allow to saute for a minute.
- Then add the chopped onions and saute well.
- Add this to the dosa batter and mix it well. Add requisite salt and cilantro to garnish.
- Keep the Kuzhi Paniyaram Non-Stick Plate on the stove and add one drop of oil in each depression.
- Slowly pour the prepared paniyaram batter but take care that it contains itself inside the depression.
- When this side is done, turn over the paniyarams to the other side using the help of a spoon or this.
- When the other side is also cooked, remove and place on a tissue paper on a plate.
- Serve Hot with Chettinad Tomato Chutney.