Coconut is an integral part of my cooking but I have particularly brought down the levels of coconut on account of health concerns. My gradmother on the other had is of the opinion that anything had in small quantities can never be too much. Its only when you consume too much of anything, does it become bad for the health. I remember Madurai amma lavishing fresh coconut in Avail and Sevai and Elissery etc. This instant version of Coconut Sevai is a personal favourite on account of its ease of preparation, nevertheless yielding tasty and wholesome results everytime.This version is slightly different as I have also incorporated Thayir Molagaa as a seasoning ingredient….for additional flavour and taste.
1/2 pack of Rice Noodles or Instant Sevai cooked as per instructions and sprinkled with a spoon of Coconut Oil.
1 Tsp Ginger Chopped fine.
3-4 Fried Thayir Molagaa or Mor Molagaa.
3/4 cup of Fresh Coconut.
2 Tsp of Broken Urad Dhal soaked in some water for ten minutes.
3 Green Chillies chopped fine.
5-7 cashew halves.
Salt to taste.
- Prepare the Rice Sevai/Rice Sticks using the instructions provided in the packaging. While allowing it to boil, add 2 drops of coconut oil in the water for added flavour and aroma. Drain in a collander.
- In a small cup soak the broken urad dhal in water and set aside for ten minutes., This adds volume and flavour in terms of seasoning to the dish.
- Take a non stick kadai and place on the stove. Add 3 spoons of coconut oil (optionally Canola/Refined Oil) and when its beginning to get hot, add the “mor molaga” so it fries in the oil. (This ingredient is completely optional)
- Now add chopped ginger, cashews, curry leaves, hing , mustard and when it splutters, add the soaked urad dhal after draining off all the water.
- Saute for a couple of seconds and then add the grated coconut to the kadai.
- Bring the flame to sim and now saute the coconut along with the spices, for 4-5 minutes.
- The white fluffy coconut, after sauteing in the oil for a few minutes turns to a dull brown colour and also emits a wonderful aroma. Be very careful to keep the flame only on low as if the heat is more it would burn the delicate grated coconut .
- At this point, add the rice noodles/sevai/rice sticks and mix well adding sufficient salt for the sevai.
- Serve HOT with chips.