I love Black Forest Cake. And I love Buttercream! Period! Contrasting as it may sound,I love the light whipped cream slathered over the Black Forest Cake. I guess its got to do with the fact that its light and airy, not dripping with sweet, and the tartness from the maraschino cherries all bundled in to one big cake. My earliest memories of Black Forest Cake was the one at Saravanaas in T.Nagar,Chennai. On rare ocassions, amma would buy us a few pieces of the Black Forest Cake as a weekend treat along with the famous Bangalore Iyengar Bakery Dilpasands. I was in chocolate heaven. I am not a big fan of chocolate, or cake, or whipped cream but somehow I loved this arrangement. Years later, when I found it at the Hot Breads location here, I was overjoyed. I had been wanting to try it at home for a long time now and last year I made it for my kids birthday. The only reason I could never post it until now was that there would never be time for me to click any pictures!!! Its a great option to make it with kids and they love it.
INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE CAKE:
1 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour.
1 1/4 Cup Sugar.
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Baking Powder.
3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder.
3 Large Eggs.
3/4 Cup Butter/ Oil.
1 Cup Milk.
1/2 Tsp Instant Coffee Powder.
1 Tsp Vanilla Essence.
INGREDIENTS FOR CHERRY SOLUTION:
1/4 Cup Cherry Solution. ( Maraschino Cherries are sold soaked in this solution).
1/4 Cup Water.
3 Tsp Sugar.
INGREDIENTS FOR ICING & GARNISH:
Cool Whip readymade from the store (or)
1 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream.
1/2 Cup Icicing Sugar.
1/2 Tsp Vanilla Essence.
Handful of Maraschino Cherries.
Handful of Glazed Red Cherries.
- Measure out the required amount of all purpose flour and cocoa powder and add the baking soda and baking powder. Now seive them all together in to another dry bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 375F and grease the sides of a 9 inch spring form pan and line the base with parchment paper.
- Lightly warm 1 cup of milk and then add about 1/2 Tsp Instant Coffee Powder to it. Stir and allow to cool.
- Measure out the sugar and add to a bowl and add 3 eggs at room temperature to this . Beat on low speed for a couple minutes.
- Add the melted butter/ oil, vanilla essence and the cooled milk.
- Beat well to incorporate.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and with a paddle attachment mix to a smooth batter. You could also use a hand held whisk for the same.
- Transfer to the cake pan and bake for about 35-40 minutes until a toothpick that’s inserted comes out clean and the cake is springy.
- Allow to cool.
- Pour out the required quantity of the solution in which the maraschino cherries are soaking in. Add water and 3 Tsp sugar and allow to steep for some time in low heat. Switch off and allow to cool.
- Place the metal bowl in the freezer for about 15 minutes and then transfer the heavy whipping cream to it. Add sugar and vanilla essence and keep beating until the cream reached stiff peaks. Optionally you can use store bought whipped cream like Cool Whip.
ASSEMBLING THE BLACK FOREST CAKE:
- When the cake is cooled enough, place it on a firm base and slice it horizontally in to 3 layers.
- Transfer the lower most layer on to a cake server and sprinkle the cooled sugared cherry syrup with a spoon or a brush.
- Slather the layer with whipped cream and garnish with chopped maraschino cherries.
- Place the second layer over the first and again drizzle with sugar solution, whipped cream adn more maraschino cherries.
- Spray the inner side of the topmost layer also with the sugar syrup and now place the topmost layer.
- Cover the cake on all sides with whipped cream.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings and pipe rosettes on the top and garnish with red glazed cherries.
- Black Forest Cake is now ready to be served.
3 thoughts on “Easy Spongy Black Forest Cake. ( Layers of chocolate cake, lined with whipped cream and maraschino cherries)”
I am a big fan of black forest cake and this looks very tempting!
Is it possible if i can see a side view of the cake? i want to see how spongy the cake it is