Everyone loves cake. Period. It`s one of those things…I guess it evokes feeling of comfort – Soft fluffy layers of sponge cake piped with buttercream, or decorated with fondant, filled with fresh fruit cream, or sometimes just a plain vanilla cake..I mean literally plain vanilla! I loved my German Black Forest Cake and my favorite Coffee Cake with Toblerone Shavings but I was always on the lookout for a good Eggless sponge cake. One of my readers sent this in to me, and when I tried it, I fell for its crumbly texture. I rehashed it with a little more splash of color and the kids loved it. Tuitti Fruity rules! The best part about this cake it uses ingredients that are always available in your pantry!!!
1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour.
3/4 Cup – 1 Cup Sugar.
1 Cup Beaten Fresh Curd / Substitute with Sour Cream/ Hung Curd/ Greek Yoghurt.
1/2 Cup Avocado Oil/ Canola/ Vegetable Oil.
1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder.
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda.
1 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract.
1/3 Cup Tuitti Fruity.
2 Tsp All Purpose Flour to dust the Tuitti fruiti.
- Grease a tin loaf pan on all sides and line the base with parchment paper. I love to make cakes that are bite sized so I used my brownie pan.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/200 C for about 10 minutes.
- Measure out the tutti fruity and coat it with a layer of dry all purpose flour. This will keep the surface of the tutti fruity dry and allow it to stay on top rather than sink to the bottom.
- Sieve the All purpose flour and set aside. In a mixing bowl beat the curd slightly until its smooth with NO clumps. Add the granulated sugar and cream until well mixed.
- Add the measured baking soda and baking powder to the creamed mix in the bowl and allow to sit for about 5-7 minutes. You will see tiny bubbles forming and the creamed mixture slightly increasing in volume.
- At this point add the oil and the vanilla essence.
- Add the all purpose flour in to the bowl little by little and fold it in, Be careful not to over mix too vigorously so as to not rob the batter of the air bubbles.
- Transfer to a cake pan/ loaf pan/ brownie pan and bake for 10 minutes at 400F. Reduce the temperature to 350F and then continue to bake for about 30 minutes.
- The time taken depends on the size and depth of the cake pan that you are baking the cake in. Please keep an eagle eye on it. After 30 minutes try to insert a toothpick in to the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, then the cake is done.
- Optionally you could brush the top of the cake with some milk 10 minutes BEFORE the ending time to get a lovely sheen.
- I lined my top of the cake with cherry halves dunked in flour as the kids love the way it looks!
- Great Valentine`s Day Cake? Christmas Cake !!! Dress it up any way you want.
- Remove the tuitti fruity and make it an Eggless Plain Vanilla Cake Sponge. What I really love about this cake is that its fuss free and easy to whip up.