There is really no substitute for the comfort that the soul derives, from forking out a large spoonful of piping hot fried rice and eating it slowly, with exploding flavors. We love our cashew fried rice from our favorite Thai restaurant Pearl at St Louis, and Simply Thai at Frisco, Texas.
This is a small effort to try to recrearte this magic. Hope you enjoy it and please leave your comments. You can substitute jasmine rice with brown rice/ quinoa/ cauliflower rice for a low carb version.
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tsp Light Soya Sauce
2 Tsp Dark Soya Sauce
3 Tsp Hoisin Sauce
1 Tsp Red Chilli paste
1/2 Tsp Pepper Powder
1 Tsp Sesame Oil.
INGREDIENTS FOR FRIED RICE:
1 cup Jasmine Rice cooked.
1 Cup Firm Tofu.
4 Garlic cloves chopped.
2 inch Ginger Chopped.
3 stalks of green onions chopped.
1/2 onion diced into large pieces and separated.
Handful of raw cashews.
- The process of cooking is very easy and cooking time is very less and on high flame, Keep all ingredients close to you.
- 1 day old rice is the best if not substitute with jasmine rice or long grained rice.
- Chop all veggies and keep ready.
- Add all ingredients for Sauce in to a cup and whisk.
- Remove all water from the tofu. Pat it dry.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of oil, sauté Tofu in oil and remove from wok.
- In the same wok add 2 tbsp of oil on medium high flame and add the chopped ginger, garlic, and base portion of the green onions.
- Fry for a few minutes and then immediately add onions.
- In 30 seconds, add the prepared sauce on the wok. Do not allow onions to get mushy.
- It will bubble and cook in the oil. Stir, to coat the garlic and onions getting fried in the wok.
- Add the cooked and cooled rice, tofu and cashew and quickly start mixing to coat the rice and tofu.
- Add salt as needed.
- Cook until slightly caramelized and transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with cilantro and spring onions.