Uppu Kozhukattai / Ulundhu Kozhukattai
Uppu Kozhukattai is the prasadam for Vinayaka Chathurthi along with the Vella Kozhakattai and Ammini Kozhakattai. I love the Uppu Kozhakattai as its almost like a paruppu usili filled in the rice balls and then steamed in the pressure cooker. The Uppu Kozhukattais, I always felt were comparitively more easier to make as one makes the balls ahead and then stretch the outer dough over the balls to cover it.
As always the first part is the Outer Dough which is the base of the whole preparation. Keep this prepared Outer Kozhukattai Dough covered tight to preserve the moisture and warmth as this is imperative for easily working on this dough.
1/2 cup Urad Dhal..
1/4 cup Bengal Gram
3- 4 Green Chillies.
1/4 Cup Coconut.
A Pinch of Hing.
- Soak the Bengal Gram and Urad Dhal for about 3 hours just as you would for Paruppu Usili.
- I have used the proportion of 1/4 cup of bengal gram to 1/2 cup of urad dhal. If you want more numbers, you can extrapolate it to double the quantity.
- Grind the bengal gram and urad dhal in the mixer with salt, green chillies and curry leaves with as little water as possible. The water added is important as this affects the final consistency of the urad dhal crumble.
- It should not be ground too smooth but a little short of that, a little coarse. Add hing and a spoon of oil and mix it in well.
- Place a seasoning kadai on the stove, add oil and mustard, When the mustard splutters, add it to the ground paste. Mix and in a few minutes add the grated coconut. (This is optional).
- Grease 1 or 2 idli plates and fill the firm ground paste in the idli plates. Steam in the pressure cooker for 12 – 15 minutes. Switch off gas and remove the plates and allow to cool.
- Transfer the cooked dhal idlis to a plate and pour 1 spoon of coconut/gingely/canola oil on them and slowly crumble them with your oiled fingers.
- Try to do this when its still warm.
- Now with the help of a oil greased hands again, press the crumbles in to 1 inch balls. Keep covered in a container to retain the moisture.
- Follow the usual procedure of making little cups with the Outer Dough.
- Place a urad ball in to the little modhak cups.
- Close like a coconut and make a little tuft resembling a coconut.,
- Keep your hands oiled when you are working with the Outer Dough.
- Place the prepared modhaks in greased idli plates and steam in the pressure cooker for 12 minutes.
- Switch off stove, and after a few minutes transfer to a casserole.
- Offer Uppu Kozhukattais Neivedhyam to the Lord.
- Also see my post on Vella Kozhukattais.
- If you are not able to shape the crumble in to balls, do not fret. Simply pop a spoon, and fill in your modhak cups with the crumble and continue as usual to seal them. Making them in to balls makes it more easier to handle as there is no binding agent as such except the urad dhal.
- If you have exhausted your Ulundhu balls and left with the Outer Dough, proceed to make in to little balls and make Ammini Kozhakattais.
- If you are left with the Urad dhal balls, simply crumble and make Usili with beans or cabbage.
Sending delicious Ulundhu Kozhukattais to Festive Food Event happening at Purva`s Daawat.