This has to be one of the most easiest of all the tomato chutneys posted ever as it holds its taste on its own. Its your regular tomato chutney with tomatoes and green chillies and onions, only its rehashed with a big spoonful of Grand Sweets Vethakuzhambu Powder. If you dont have the Grand Sweets Sambar Powder, add your home made sambar powder. It should still give it a very different spin! It`s super tangy from the tomatoes and there is a slight heat that hits you, as an afterthought. This chutney is made slightly watery and not so much like the ones that have coconuts or daliya. I served it with Healthy Oats and Flax Adai.
1 Medium Red Onion.
3 Ripe Slicing Tomatoes.
1-2 Green Chilies.
1 Tsp Salt.
1 Heaped Tsp Vethakuzhambu Powder.
1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder.
1 Tsp Mustard.
1 Tsp Broken Urad Dhal.
- Chop the onions and the tomatoes roughly as they are going to get pureed in the blender/Mixer.
- Start with about 1 tsp of oil in a kadai and season with chillies and a little hing.
- Now add the chopped onions and allow to saute until pinkish light brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and follow with turmeric powder, red chilli powder and Grand Sweets Vethakuzhambu Powder.
- Allow to saute well and when its almost done, add the required salt.
- Its not needed to saute until all the tomato juices have completely dried up. It can still be a little watery.
- Allow to cool and puree in food processesor/blender with a 2-3 Tbsp of coconut milk (optional)/water until required consistency is reached.
- I like mine to be a little coarse with the texture of the onions and the tomatoes, so i don’t go all the way.
- Season in oil with mustard seeds, broken urad dhal, hing and curry leaves.
- Serve with Idli, Dosa or Adai, and yes, let me know how it went!!!
7 thoughts on “Tomato Chutney with Sambar Powder?”
The look of it so tempting…Can’t wait to try this one out…will let you know how it turned out!
Please can you explain what the powder is?
I have not tried the vetha kuzhambu powder , but i am sure this tomato onion chutney will taste deliciously different with the addition.
It did taste very different and pretty delicious. For one, I am up for trying any number of new chutneys!!!
The powder is a combination of spices for making Sambar, which is a tamarind based gravy with veggies simmered in it. You could find them in any Indian Store under Sambar Powder.
you can take mmy word for it. It was very amazing! But do try them and let me know!
what an idea! 🙂