This post is a looong time coming. I have been having in my drafts for at least 2 years now but never had the opportunity to actually click a picture – Either most of the cookies are gone, or I don’t have the right props, or the sun plays havoc by hiding behind the clouds. Thsi cookie recipe has been a result of many days of experimenting and of course inspired by many on the internet. What are the ingredients of a good chocolate chip cookie – there`s the base flour, the choco chips itself, the sweetner being sugar, vanilla essence, baking soda, as this one is made eggless, and the eggs – in this case I`ve used buttermilk to replace the eggs. A healthier vegan approach would be to use applesauce instead of the eggs, and of course replace the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour. I am working on an alternate version with applesauce, and avocados! But that post is for another day. This recipe uses Brown Sugar, for an intense taste, but works just as well with white sugar. Enjoy!
1/2 Cup Butter at room temperature.
1/3 Cup Room temperature buttermilk.
1 Cup Soft Brown Sugar.
1 Tsp Vanilla Essence.
1 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour.
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda.
1/4 Tsp Sea Salt.
1 Cup Chocolate Chips.
A handful of raisins.
- In a mixing bowl, add the room temperature butter and sugar and cream it together for a couple minutes.
- Add the room temperature buttermilk and vanilla essence and mix it in well with a hand mixer, or a whisk.
- Sift the all purpose flour and add baking soda and salt. Add this to the mixing bowl and slowly fold it in.
- Finally add chocolate chips and raisins if needed and fold.
- The dough has to be made in to a rough ball.
- Cover with a cling wrap and refrigerate for about an hour and remove.
- Preheat the oven to about 350F / 180C .
- Make small lemon sized balls, flatten them lightly in the palm of your hand, and place them in a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes until the bottom of the cookie is browned a little.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Chewy on the inside yet slightly crisp on the outside Eggless Choco Chip Cookies are ready!
- If you want the cookies to be completely crunchy leave them in for about 14-16 minutes.
- Every oven performance differs, so make it once and keep an eye on them completely after the tenth minute!
15 thoughts on “Eggless Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies.”
Hey my call on this enaku venum. Yumm Yumm.
Sure Priya….Will send you some soon!!
Buttermilk as in regular thick curd at room temp? I’m guessing from that picture..
its thick curd at room temperature….buttermilk is fine too.
buttermilk is runny here, not like our ‘more’ but like single cream
Your cookies looks amazing, hope to use the long weekend cooking some nice stuff for the kids
Love the idea of adding yogurt/curd.
They look delicious.
i simply use home made curd Laks! It comes out just great! Whats the long weekend now?/ Memorial Day here….
Thanks for the lovely comments.
OMG.. these look absolutely gorgeous and inviting.. amazing photography too.. love them 🙂
Gorgeous looking cookies. Will try sometime
Hi Shoba, I was searching for a recipe for eggless cookies and I am so glad I came across your blog. I have baked these cookies for rakhi and they have turned out amazing! Many thanks.
Thanks for the lovely feedback. Do keep trying new recipes and let me know your comments.
Hey I have to tell you I tried these and they turned out so awesome I can’t begin to tell. And what makes it special?? Well it’s just the 3rd time I have used d oven. Iv only made cakes in pressure cooker! No experience, zero confidence and churned out cookies dat had ppl eating out of my hands!
Thanks so much!!
I still remember how all the kids gulped these cookies minutes after they were baked while playing together.. Love them!
mom this is the best cookies ever