The best thing about this cake is that its fuss free – dump ALL ingredients in to a bowl, mix, bake and you are done! Its best eaten plain and is a great snack to have after a spicy meal when you crave for something sweet. At the same time its not overly sweet and that’s one of the best things that I love about this cake. I cannot eat more than a mouthful of cake that’s too sweet. Try this and its perfect sweetness, balanced with the moistness of the cake definitely make it a keeper.
1 ¾ cup of almond flour
¼ cup of all All Purpose Flour
¾ cup of Sugar/ Erythritol / Monk fruit.
1 tsp of baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
2 large eggs
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup butter (1 stick) brought to room temperature
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
A pinch of salt.
Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 Oz Softened Cream Cheese
4 Tbsp Butter
¾ Cup Powdered Erithytol
1/4 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
1 Tsp Raspberry Extract
A few pieces of finely diced Raspberries.
- Whip the cream cheese and butter in a stand mixer until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the powdered erythritol. Mix for 2-3 minutes until fluffy. Scrape down the sides and mix for another minute.
- Add the raspberry extract and mix.
- Sieve the Almond Flour to air it.
- Add all the ingredients of the cake in to a bowl – Almond flour, All purpose flour, sweetener / Sugar, eggs, baking powder, baking soda, butter, olive oil , room temperature buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Use a silicon spoon and mix everything together.
- No need to beat and over mix.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F , grease a 9 inch round baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- Pour the cake batter and bake for 35-40 mins or until a toothpick that’s inserted in to the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
- This cake is very tasty and not too sweet and resembles a basic sponge cake. You can eat this cake as it is.
ASSEMBLING THE CAKE:
- I was celebrating a birthday and wanted to go all fancy with icing and two layers!
- I doubled the quantity and make 2 9” inch round cakes.
- When cooled, place one cake on a stand.
- Add Raspberry cream cheese icing layer ( This step can be omitted).
- Decorate with small pieces of chopped raspberry.
- Place second 9 inch cake and cover with icing.
- Decorate as required.
Frosting flavors that I have used:
- Coffee Whipped Cream Icing.
- Orange Icing.
- Pineapple icing.
- Lemon Icing.
- Chocolate Icicing