Quick Besan Dhoklas.
The best ever dhoklas that I remember having eaten are at The Saravana Bhavan – Gujrati Restaurant in T.Nagar, Chennai. They have the most amazingly soft dhoklas that can melt and come together in your mouth, along with the sweet chutney agog with tamarind and tang, and the green pudina chutney. Ever since, I ve always been on the lookout for recipes on how to make this easy snack. What I like about it, is the fac that it could be whipped up in a few minutes, with no need for prior planning. This is my version of this dish and I hope you will like it too. Posting for the Sweet Tamarind Chutney follows at a later post.
Besan – 1 1/4 cups
Buttermilk/Curd – 1 cup.
Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
Green Chilli Paste- 1 tsp
Eno Fruit Salt – 1 tsp.
Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp.
Turmeric Powder – A pinch
Oil, Mustard Seeds, Slit Green Chillis (2), Curry Leaves, Hing.
Dry Coconut Powder, Chopped Corriander.
- In a bowl, take the besan and use your hands to remove all the clumps. Add the buttermilk and gently whisk to mix. Now also add turmeric, salt, ginger paste, green chilli paste and mix them all together.
- Mix a spoon of Eno Fruit salt with 1 spoon of lemon juice and mix it in to the besan batter.
- Let is stand for 20 mins.
- Take a low flat bottomed cooker vessel, resembling a 9 inch round cake pan and grease the insides with cooking spray or oil.
- Pour the besan batter in to the cooking pan.
- Fill the cooker with 1 cup of water and gently place the vessel in to the cooker.
- Allow it to steam on high for 12-14 mins.
- Switch off and wait for 5 mins and cool it for 20 mins or so.
- Cut it in to diamond shape and season with mustard , chilli, hing and curry leaves.
- Garnish with coconut and corriander.
- Serve with chatpata-sweet tamarind chutney.