Quick Cauliflower subzi.
Cauliflowers are always a welcome addition to any dish I make as cauliflowers are an excellent source of Vitamin C and dietary fiber. I am a fiber freak and try to sneak in this element of our daily requirement in any dish I create. I also have this habit of immediately cleaning with salt water, drying and storing the florets in an air tight container, so I can scoop them and add them in to any dish I am making for the day. Cauliflowers are an excellent addition to any dry subzi preparation, mixed rices, bajjis, fillings and gravies. This is one of my entry for JFI Cauliflower hosted by Paajaka Recipes.
This is a quick and simple everyday recipe, known for its simplistic presentation and flavourful taste. A handful of peas could also be thrown in for added nutrition. It`s all about innovation in everyday cooking right???
Cauliflower: 2 cups. (cleaned and chopped in to florets)
Besan 1 spoon
Mustard, Broken Urad Dhal, Curry Leaves, Hing.
Roast in Oil and Powder:
Toor Dhal – 2 spoons
Bengal Gram – 2 spoons
Dhania – 2 spoons
Pottu Kadalai – 1 spoon
Red Chillis – 5
- Before you start, pop the cauliflower in to the microwave for 3 minutes so its almost halfway cooked. There is no need to add water, as the inherent water content in the cauliflower helps it to cook.
- Place the tava in the stove, pour a spoon of oil,season with mustard, urad dhal, curry leaves and hing and immediately add the cauliflower.
- Add turneric and salt according to taste and allow to cook for 5 mins or so until the raw smell is gone.
- Add the ground powder, sprinkle besan and serve garnished with cilantro.
- This subzi is quick and can be coupled with roti or rice. For added nutrition and colour, pop in peas or lilva beans.