As I have already mentioned in my previous posts, every sunday afternoon lunches are slow and lazy and filling. D and me would devour the amazing vengaya vethakuzhambu and alu fry made by amma and lounge on the chair and try to solve the Express Sunday Crossword and the Jumble. I always remember such sunday afternoons with relish as those were the days…as a student, eating food cooked by amma, studying, watching some tv, reading books ad magazines, and sleep happily in the nights. Now, as a mother, I realise what a pleasure it is, to stay young and enjoy the thrills and innocence of childhood. Yesterday I was reminded of amma, and so I decided to treat my husband with the same menu. It`s very simple and easy, but very delicious and tasty.
5 Medium Potatoes.
1 spoon of salt
1 spoon of red chilli powder.
1 spoon of flax powder.
1/2 spoon of dhania powder.
3 spoons of oil.
Mustard, Urad Dhal and Curry Leaves.
- Remove the skin from the potatoes and chop them in to really fine pieces, dropping them in a vessel with water. This prevents them from blackening and cutting them fine, helps it to cook faster and consume much less oil.
- Drain all the water and pop it in to the microwave for a good 4 minutes.
- Take a heavy bottomed kadai and add 3 spoons of oil. When it starts to smoke, add mustard, urad dhal , curry leaves and a dash of hing before adding the chopped potatoes.
- Sprinkle more hing, salt, red chilli powder and dhania powder and incorporate them in to the potatoes.
- Allow to cook and roast well and stir in intermittently if you feel that the potaotes are sticking to the bottom. You could spray a little oil, if you feel that the alu is getting too dry.
- After about 25 minutes of roasting well, switch off the stove.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with Vengaya Vethakuzhambu or VethaKuzhambu. Alternatively is an excellent option for filling bread to make sandwiches or to go with rotis and phulkas.
5 thoughts on “Amma`s simple Alu Fry.”
Nanna iruku parkave, with venkaya vattakuzhambu it will be like heaven..
Am glad I found your blog. You have many delicious recipes here.