Onion Ragi Rava Dosa – Healthy & Tasty Tiffin Options.
Rava Dosa is always my husband`s most favourite breakfast/tiffin/dinner entree. Any day is Rava Dosa day even if I am not able to make his favourite coconut chutney to go with it. Add a dash of finely chopped onions and his day is made. Last night I was pretty much stumped on what to make for dinner and when I was rummaging in the pantry I saw the unopened packet of Ragi Flour that my husband had bought from the Indian Store. I gave him an option of Rava Dosa adding ragi flour for health and he welcomed the idea. I had some shallots that I had peeled earlier so I chopped them in to tiny pieces and set them aside. Ragi Rava Dosa with onions was a great healthy dinner/tiffin option. With Molagapodi or Chettinad Onion Tomato Chutney, it was simply divine.
1 cup Roasted Rava.
1/2 cup Ragi Flour.
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour.
1/2 cup Rice Flour.
1/4 cup of Sour Buttermilk if available.
Approximately 4 cups of water.
2 spoons of Jeera.
1 spoon of Whole Black Pepper .
4-5 Green Chillies finely chopped.
1 Tsp finely grated ginger(Optional).
- Mix all the dry ingredients – the flours in a wide mouthed vessel. Add salt and set aside.
- Add requisite water and the sour buttermilk(if available) and use a whisk to mix it in to a smooth watery batter in pouring consistency.
- Keep a seasoning kadai on the stove and add 2 spoons of oil. When its hot add jeera, black pepper, ginger, curry leaves and hing.
- When this is well roasted in the oil add this to the watery batter and mix well.
- Put the Dosa tava on the stove and pour requisite oil.
- Now sprinkle a little bit of the onions and then pour the dosa batter over it.
- The dosa cannot be spread as in the case of a regular dosa. The ends should be poured first in a circle and the rest of the dosa filled in by pouring.
- Add oil around the edges and slowly turn over to the other side after a few minutes.
- When the dosa is flipped allow a couple of seconds to cook on this side.
- Fold and serve on the plate with Chettinad Tomato Chutney or Coconut Chutney.