There are always people who dont like mushrooms and then there are us – the people who love mushrooms for their taste, texture and versatility. I always have a brown bag of mushrooms ready in my refrigerator. My all time favorite mushroom dish is the Restaurant Style Mushroom Butter Masala which I love to pair with simple Jeera Pulav or Peas Pulav. But on days when I really feel like eating spicy food, I resort to this Chettinad Mushroom Biriyani or sometimes the Hyderabadi Biriyani. My sister wanted me to try this from Divya`s post and I readily obliged.It`s a simpler version of the Hyderabadi Biriyani and definitely a lot more forgiving in the prep work, but very very delicious to say the least. I savour this biriyani with simple Cucumber Raita. I made this Biriyani with brown basmati rice and added Seitan instead of soya nuggets for added protien!
2 Cups Brown Basmati Rice.
1 Pound Mushrooms Cremini/ Bella or White.
2 Onions sliced long and thin.
1/2 Cup Coconut Milk.
1 Packet of Seitan.(optional or you could substitute with Soya Chunks, or Tempeh)
1/2 Cup Fresh Curd.
2 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste – Fresh.
1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder.
1 Tsp Dhania Powder.
1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder.
A pinch of haldi Powder.
1/2 Cup Mint Leaves.
1/2 Cup Cilantro chopped.
WHOLE SPICES FOR SEASONING:
2 Tbsp Ghee/Butter/Oil.
1 Inch Cinnamon.
1/2 Tsp Cardamom Powder or 2 Cardamom Pods.
2 Star Anise.
1 Tsp ShahJeera.
1 Tsp Jeera.
- Wash the basmati rice and soak it in 3 cups water for about 30 minutes.
- In a kadai, add a spoon of oil and shallow fry the onions until they are completely brown. I have a Calphalon Sear Pan so I can sear all the onions without a drop of oil.
- Now we work on the marinade – Add the seitan and the mushroom on to a bowl and add all the ingredients under “Marinade” and finally add half of the yummy pan fried onions. Save hte rest for later.
- Cover the bowl with a cling wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, take a wide mouthed non stick pan and add 2 tbsp of ghee. Now season it with all the ingredients under “Seasonings” and give it a second to fry in the oil.
- Add the marinated mushroom+Seitan mixture in to the pan and saute on a medium low flame until you see the mushroom getting cooked, sweaty and start shrinking. This should take about 5-6 minutes.
- Now add the coconut milk to the pan and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Now add ONLY the rice that has been soaking but SAVE the water in which it was soaked.
- Ahh you threw it out, never mind, just get fresh 3 cups of water!!!!
- Add in the required salt and then the 1 Tsp of Garam Masala.
- Add the 3 cups of water and cover and cook undisturbed for about 15 minutes or until the grains of rice are cooked fluffy and to perfection.
- Garnish with fried onions and serve with a side of thick Cucumber Raita.
11 thoughts on “Chettinad Mushroom Biriyani with a twist!!!”
I just tried mushroom pulao yesterday.This biriyani looks exotic.Do try adding a bit of mint chutney(store bought) to the rice nxt time.It adds a lot of flavour.I am sure the coconut milk would have given the rice a nice texture!
i use fresh mint leaves instead of the mint chutney….but hey there`s a nice idea there!!!
I agree with you there are those that don’t like mushroom and then there is me …and if you have both the categories in the same house , it is a bit challenging. I love mushroom and the other two in my home don’t …I know its kind of sad…but I do not hold myself back and I do cook with them and I am sure “Chettinad” is the magic word here…will try and keep you posted
btw thanks for visiting…i love your bowl too :))
love mushroom and love biryani. so a mushroom biryani is always look forward too. liked your serving bowl.
Thanks for the lovely comments. Keep coming.
I am in love with your beautiful jeweled serving dish.
The pics are great and so is the recipe.
hi madam how are you cane you give me chattinad food resepe
Wow, nice recipe! I loved everything about this picture too 🙂
Thanks for the comments Raks.
loved your site. Loved with this recipe. Interesting to find that we have almost similar webaddress for our blogs 🙂