There are always people who dont like mushrooms and then there are us – the people who love mushrooms for their taste, texture and versatility. I always have a brown bag of mushrooms ready in my refrigerator. My all time favorite mushroom dish is the Restaurant Style Mushroom Butter Masala which I love to pair with simple Jeera Pulav or Peas Pulav. But on days when I really feel like eating spicy food, I resort to this Chettinad Mushroom Biriyani or sometimes the Hyderabadi Biriyani. My sister wanted me to try this from Divya`s post and I readily obliged.It`s a simpler version of the Hyderabadi Biriyani and definitely a lot more forgiving in the prep work, but very very delicious to say the least. I savour this biriyani with simple Cucumber Raita. I made this Biriyani with brown basmati rice and added Seitan instead of soya nuggets for added protien!
2 Cups Brown Basmati Rice.
1 Pound Mushrooms Cremini/ Bella or White.
2 Onions sliced long and thin.
1/2 Cup Coconut Milk.
1 Packet of Seitan.(optional or you could substitute with Soya Chunks, or Tempeh)
1/2 Cup Fresh Curd.
2 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste – Fresh.
1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder.
1 Tsp Dhania Powder.
1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder.
A pinch of haldi Powder.
1/2 Cup Mint Leaves.
1/2 Cup Cilantro chopped.
WHOLE SPICES FOR SEASONING:
2 Tbsp Ghee/Butter/Oil.
1 Inch Cinnamon.
1/2 Tsp Cardamom Powder or 2 Cardamom Pods.
2 Star Anise.
1 Tsp ShahJeera.
1 Tsp Jeera.
- Wash the basmati rice and soak it in 3 cups water for about 30 minutes.
- In a kadai, add a spoon of oil and shallow fry the onions until they are completely brown. I have a Calphalon Sear Pan so I can sear all the onions without a drop of oil.
- Now we work on the marinade – Add the seitan and the mushroom on to a bowl and add all the ingredients under “Marinade” and finally add half of the yummy pan fried onions. Save hte rest for later.
- Cover the bowl with a cling wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, take a wide mouthed non stick pan and add 2 tbsp of ghee. Now season it with all the ingredients under “Seasonings” and give it a second to fry in the oil.
- Add the marinated mushroom+Seitan mixture in to the pan and saute on a medium low flame until you see the mushroom getting cooked, sweaty and start shrinking. This should take about 5-6 minutes.
- Now add the coconut milk to the pan and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Now add ONLY the rice that has been soaking but SAVE the water in which it was soaked.
- Ahh you threw it out, never mind, just get fresh 3 cups of water!!!!
- Add in the required salt and then the 1 Tsp of Garam Masala.
- Add the 3 cups of water and cover and cook undisturbed for about 15 minutes or until the grains of rice are cooked fluffy and to perfection.
- Garnish with fried onions and serve with a side of thick Cucumber Raita.