Its official. I love fennel. I love its aroma and the unique flavour it infuses in to the dishes. Its sometimes the star ingredient of a dish, without actually taking all the lime light! I wanted to combine the goodness of asparagus, potatoes and cauliflower in to one amazing bowl of hearty subzi. Thus was born this unique and tasty side dish. I could eat it with rotis the whole week! I really did! It was a hit with rotis and the leftover went it to fill in to my bread,to make tasty sandwiches and the third day, I stuffed it in to puff pastry sheets. Yes, it was amazing! Go on, try it and see for yourself.
2 Small or 1 Medium Onions diced fine.
2 Cups Cauliflower Florettes.
1 Potatoe cut in to medium 1 inch bits.
1 pound Asparagus diced in into 1 inch pieces.
1/4 Tsp Turmeric.
1 Tsp Red chilli powder.
1 Tbsp Fennel powdered.
1 Tsp Tandoori Masala.
1/2 Tsp Garam Masala.
1 Tsp Salt.
1 Tsp heaped Somph/ Fennel.
2 Star Anise.
1 Mace (Optional)
TANDOORI MASALA POWDER:
4 tsp ground dhania.
3 tsp cumin ground.
4 tsp garlic powder.
2 tsp red cp.
3 tsp ginger powder.
2 tsp amchur.
1 tsp dried mint.
red food coloring.
1 tsp chilli powder.
2 Tsp Kasoori Methi.
Grind to a near smooth powder and store in an air tight container for more than 6 months.
- Microwave the cauliflower florettes, diced asparagus on HIGH for about 3 minutes.
- Boil the potatoe in a little water with salt and dice in to pieces.
- In a shallow kadai, add a tbsp of oil and when its hot enough, add the fennel, star anise and mace. When its slightly roasted add the finely chopped onions and shallow fry until pinkish brown.
- Just when the aroma was already getting to you, add the microwaved veggies – cauliflower, asparagus and the potatoes.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt and mix them all in well.
- Sprinkle a few drops of water and reduce the flame to medium low. Cover and cook fofr about ten minutes.
- Check to see if the veggies are well cooked, If not cook for a couple minutes more.
- Gently add the tandoori masala powder and the garam masala powder at this stage and mix it in.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, switch off the flame and keep covered until its time to serve.