The best thing about a sandwich is that you dont need a spoon or a plate. All you need is your fingers and then one delightlful bite after another. Its filling, non-messy and extremely versatile, all the time allowing for so many variations every time you make it. Whenever I feel like making sandwich, I simply look in to my pantry for any herbs that might be calling for help. Could be a wilting rosemary bunch, or tightly packed cilantro bought from the Indian store last week, or a box of arugula bought at Sprouts to try that amazing salad inspired by Giada De Laurentis. She swears by arugula, really!!! This one was a quick fix on a week night with leftover ingredients from my refrigerator. Feel free to substitute kale f0r spinach or arugula for cilantro!
PEAS ARUGULA CILANTRO PESTO:
1 Cup Peas.
11/2 Cup Arugula.
1 Cup Cilantro.
2 cloves of garlic.
1 Tsp Salt.
1/4 Tsp Pepper.
1/4 Tsp Sugar.
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice.
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Ingredients for Sandwich:
1 Cibatta Bread/ Sourdough Bread or 3 Regular white/ brown slices.
1 Tbsp Vegan Mayonnaise.
1 Tsp Tomato Ketchup.
3-4 Sliced Onion Rings.
1 Cheese Slice. (American/ Cheddar)
A few sprigs of Lettuce/ Kale.
Any veggie patty of your choice. ( I used home made Chickpea Burger Patty).
Salt & Pepper.
- Add all the ingredients under “Pesto” to a food processor and give it a quick pulse. I realise it needs some moisture and I am just coming to that. The olive oil does the trick of getting them all mashed together. Imagine the aroma in my kitchen!!!
- Transfer to a glass mason bottle and preserve tightly. This pesto can be used in pastas for a quick kids lunch, or thinned with vegan mayo / sour cream to make a dip, or a salad dressing, kind of like the Green Goddess dressing, if you know what I mean!
- Now heat up the griddle/ tava and grease the bread that you are going to be using for the sandwich.
- I used plain white bread and set them on the heated griddle.
- Now slather some vegan mayo on the bread. Arrange the green lettuce on the mayo.
- Place the veggie patty and add a dash of ketchup, slather the cilantro -pesto on top of the patty.
- Now the goodness continues – one slice of cheese of your choice – the adventurous could try the pepperjack, I went with the cheddar cheese slice.
- Add a few onion rings and if you want some more of the ketchup.
- Place the second greased loaf of white bread and firmly close the griddle lid.
- Sizzling Grilled Cheese Sandwich is ready to be served with a side of beans and ketchup.
- This dish has it all – carbs from the white bread, protien from the patty, green kale or lettuce and peas for the veggies.