As always I am looking for newer and more innovative methods to present the same food to my daughter to spruce it up to make it look a lot more colourful and lively. There are certain food items where she also helps me making it, so there is that additional excitement, that her labour has gone into it too. I also believe that the physical presentation and appeal are quite important in itself . So I try to make the maximum use of colors to play with one another, keeping in mind not to alter the original intended taste and yet to see If I could use many items.
Yesterday we had this surprise bday party for my friend A, with the Valentine theme, and we had to decide what to chip in for starters. I offered to make these Colourful Heart Sandwiches as they are easy, fast, colourful and of course go with the theme. I had picked these lovely heart shaped cutter from Dierbergs yesterday …so I wanted to put them to use. The method is pretty much the same, only I dressed it up with half a cheddar cheese topping for the kids and pepper jacks for the adults…Here`s how..
2 Medium sized Potatoes.
1 Juicy Carrot.
1/4 cup of Peas.
1/2 spoon Dhania Powder.
A pinch of garam masala powder.
1 tsp salt.
Somph or Fennel Seeds to season.
1 loaf of White Bread / Sandwich Bread sliced.
Slices of Cheddar Cheese and Pepper Jack Cheese sliced in to triangles.
It`s ok to make this filling a day ahead, If you are planning a small party or your kid`s sfriends come over for a snack, or even for a picnic.
- Cook with minimal water, potatoes and carrots in the cooker with a little bit of salt. Chop the veggies roughly so they cook easily.
- Take them out when cool, and roughly mash them.
- In a kadai, add a spoon of oil and when smoking, add somph/fennel , chopped onions (optional) mashed veggies, peas, dhania powder, garam masala, turmeric, and salt.
- Stir it all in and after 5 mins switch off the stove.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and keep your filling ready.
- When it`s time to serve the sandwiches, use the cutter and cut out cute hearts from the bread slices. Save the corners as this can make you delicious bread crumbs for cutlets etc.
- Lightly toast the bread hearts on a tava and arrange them on a serving platter.
- Squeeze a little ketchup on the top side of the bread hearts and spread them lightly so that the filling sticks on them.
- Use a spoon and scoop a small serving of the filling on the bread hearts and spread them.
- Top them with a triangular slice of Cheddar cheese.
- Continue and complete all the slices with this arrangement.
- Pop the entire plate in the microwave for 30 seconds. This slightly melts the cheese triangles and makes a little pocket for the filling, so it stays in to the cheese pocket.
- Decorate with a squeeze of ketchup over the cheese so you get a pretty colour and flavour!!!
- Watch your kids enjoy the colorful sandwiches.
This is easily a quick fix snack for a potluck or as a starter. Use any filling that is left over in your pantry.
Also a snack that can be easily whipped up for unexpected guests.
This is my second entry to Srivalli`s Kids Delight Event happening at Spice Your Life.