Tomato Rice is an all time delicacy that we always enjoy. The ingredients required for this are available in our pantry and refridgerator everyday. It`s always a quick fix rice dish that I make quite often. The tomato rice that amma used to make was more simple, but over the years, I have rehashed it to make it a lot more flavourful and ambient with multiple tastes. I am not sure if there is an official recipe for tomato rice, but this one works very well for me.
2 cups of Basmati Rice cooked in 31/2 cups of water and cooled.
Thinly sliced garlic out of 5 pods.
Thinly sliced ginger.
5-6 Vertically sliced green chillies.
5 ripe tomatoes sliced in to long pieces. (I gently scoop out the seeds and water from the tomatoes to keep it dry)
1 red onion sliced in to long pieces.
1/2 spoon of red chilli powder.
Turmeric & Hing a pinch.
Mustard, Urad Dhal, 2 spoons of Jeera , Cashew pieces sliced, Curry Leaves.
- I gently pry out the water and seeds from the tomatoes so it cooks faster without the excess water. Save the scoopings for rasam or soup.
- In a wide mouthed kadai, add 2-3 spoons of oil and when hot, add urad dhal, jeera, cashew slices, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Immediately add the chillies, garlic and ginger and saute for a few seconds. Now add the onions and saute for 3-4 mins till well done.
- Now add the sliced tomatoes, salt, red chilli powder, turmeric and hing and saute well till all the water is cooked out and the mixture becomes homogenous.
- Switch off the gas and after a few minutes, carefully add the cooked and cooled rice and mix gently so the rice does not break.
- Garnish with lemon juice and dry coconut powder. Believe me, the seasonings will render a unique taste and aroma to your tomato rice.
6 thoughts on “Delicious Tomato Rice – With a twist!!!”
Tomato Rice is my favourite…I love that like anything…I can have it even daily…Looks very inviting and gorgeous..I love the long grain..Looks very rich..
tomato rice looks absolutely delicious!
Hey Shobha….Rice looks delicious will give it a try.
shobhs, this was so easy to make 🙂 🙂
more stuff like this,please ! 😀
and i like the idea of coconut milk powder on it..
however,my coconut powder demanded to be mixed with some water.. so i had a mixture poured in.. was good still..konjam spicy ayduthu thanks to the chillis and red chilli powder :O