There are a hundred different ways of making one vegetable root – the potatoe. There cannot be anyone who does not relish this versatile root. I have already posted one Alu Fry in my posts earlier which is a little spicy and comes strong on the flavours. For those days when you want to sit back and make a quick and easy side, the Alu Podimas is the one. This version is a tad healthier as the potaotes are steamed and then garnished with spices. This takes 5 minutes to prepare once the potatoes are cooked.
4 Medium Potatoes.
1/4 cup of dessicated Coconut
2-3 green chillies.
Bengal Gram, Mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Wash and peel the skin off the potaotes and cook them with salt in a pressure cooker for about 10-12 mins. No need for weight. Alternatively you could wash, peel and pop the potatoes in a pot of boiling water.
- Once cooked, remove, cool and mash it in to slightly bigger chunks.
- In a kadai, add 2 spoons of oil and when hot, add bengal gram, mustard and curry leaves. When the mustard splutters, immediately add the mashed potaotes.
- Add hing and a little more salt if necessary and stir it well.
- In the mixer jar, pulse 3 green chillies and the coconut and add this to the cooked alu in the kadai.
- Mix well and serve garnished with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with Vathal Kuzhambu & Milagu Jeera Rasam.