This is a quick side dish for Venn Pongal /Vada/ Chappathi/Dosa /Puris and Idlis. It`s pretty much easy and simple to make but vrey delicious and appetising. I remember one time when my mami made this for Pongal. We simply lapped it up!!! Yeah…its that good!!!
4 Big Slicing Tomatoes or Tomatoes on the Vine. Double the quantity for Roma.
1 inch Ginger finely grated.
3 Green Chillies vertically slit.
1/2 spoon Red Chilli Powder.
- Puree all the tomatoes in the mixer without adding much water and set aside.
- In a kadai, add a spoon of oil and when hot, pop in mustard, broken urad dhal and curry leaves.
- When the mustard splutters, add grated ginger, slit green chillies, curry leaves and a pinch of hing.
- Allow a couple of seconds to saute and then immediately add the pureed tomato.
- If needed, you can add 1/8 cup of water to the mixer and after a quick shake, pour it in to the kadai.
- Add turmeric, salt and red chilli powder and stir in well.
- Simmer for about ten minutes and switch off heat.
- Serve garnished with chopped cilantro.
As an option to increase the volume in case a large serving is needed, is to saute the onions after the seasoning and then add the tomato puree. This version is made with tomatoes but it can be made without on a day when no onions need to be consumed.