Coconuts are always a delicacy for me and we are pretty lavish in our preparations on festivals and Neivedhyams. When I wanted to prepare a Payasam for Avani Avittam, I had to decide between Paruppu Payasam and then a rice based payasam. One of my mom`s favourites has been the simple Cooker Payasam cooked in a pressure cooker with simply rice and milk. Today I wanted to add another ingredient and make the kheer more richer and tastier. I was also enthused on seeing Viji Jeyakumar`s Rice Coconut Payasam and wanted to try something similar. The ensuing dish was extremely tasty and delicious and my husband actually had a second helping of it!!!
The ingredients are simple and wholesome and available in your pantry at all times. One suggestion is to use natural and fresh ingredients alone, as the taste is distinctive and particularly delectable.
2 cups of Whole milk.
1/3 cup of light coconut milk.
1/2 cup of fresh grated coconut.
1/3 cup of Raw Rice.
1/2 cup of grated jaggery.
Powdered Cardamom Seeds.
3 spoons of ghee.
Saffron Strands for garnishing.
- Soak the rice for about 30 minutes and when done pulse in the mixer for a few seconds.
- To the mixer, add the grated coconut, elaichi and the coconut milk and grind to a paste. The rice kernels will be coarsely ground and that is perfect texture for the payasam.
- Pour this in to a heavy bottomed vessel, add the 2 cups of milk and allow the rice to slowly cook in the rich milk mixture.
- Maintain the flame on medium low and keep stirring the vessel with a whisk. It will slowly thicken.
- Meanwhile, add the grated jaggery to a vessel and pour just enough water for it to be dissolved.
- Keep on the flame and when melted add it to the milk mixture in the heavy vessel.
- Stir for a few more minutes until the desired consistency is reached.
- In a seasoning ladle, add ghee, and fry cashews and rasins and add to the payasam.
- Garnish with saffron strands.
12 thoughts on “Coconut & Milk Rice Payasam.”
Payasam looks delicious…Inspite of using jaggery, your payasam looks white.. Liked the ingredients that went into it.
Interesting payasam. I bet it tastes purely out of the world. Thanks for the new recipe.
payasam looks delicious Shobha
it looks delish..will finish that bowl now 🙂
Rich and creamy!
That reeminds me of our Palpayasam..heavenly isnt it?
Thanks for the kind words Shobha..:)
Coconut milk payasam looks so delicious. U have a wonderful blog dear. Thanks for those lovely comments . I bookmarked ur blog.. keep rocking.
Wow looks yumm….your recipes are cool Shoba….and nice clicks…love everything…will try your way of paniyaram
tried it.. came out yummm… thanks!
Wow did this today and really yummy. Thanks Shobs