Yes, it has really been a year today since I began Anubhavati…It has been a wonderful year for me, with another lovely addition in the family, and of course with Anubhavati….There have been countless lessons learnt, friends made and so many wonderful moments enjoyed. It has also opened a whole new world of creativity in cooking, honing my photographic skills, lessons in patience ,perseverance and perfection. I decided to make a simple eggless banana and nut muffin, in an attemt to celebrate the day and a desperate measure to salvage the fast ripening bananas in my pantry.
I had already made an eggless banana cake earlier and this was another method of making them as easy bite sized muffins. I replaced one cup of All Purpose Flour and used Wheat Flour instead. The muffins came out moist and spongy in the inside, yet nutty and crunchy on the outside.
1 cup All Purpose Flour.
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour.
Baking Soda – 1 1/2 Tsp.
Soft Brown Sugar – 1 1/2 cups not levelled. If you are using C&H white sugar, you could slightly lessen the quantity if needed.
2 Bananas pureed in the mixer with 2 tsp of water/milk.
1/2 cup melted margarine.
1 1/2 cups Hot Water.
Handful of Toasted/Raw Walnuts, Almonds.
1 Tsp Banana Essence / Vanilla Essence.
- Measure out the required dry ingredients – the all purpose flour, wheat flour and baking soda and mix them in a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a cookie sheet, pop some walnuts and almonds and place them in the oven for 5 minutes to get them well toasted and crunchy. Set aside to cool.
- Take a mini muffin pan and grease it with baking spray or oil.
- Start with the wet ingredients – In a mixing bowl, add melted margarine, banana puree, hot water, sugar, and banana/vanilla essence.
- Mix in slowly to incorporate the ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients little by little taking care not to whisk briskly as this might rob the batter of air that is needed to give it sufficient sponginess.
- Lastly add the toasted nuts and give it a mix.
- Using a small ladle, dole out equal quantities on to the muffin pans. We do this so we get equal sized muffins.
- Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes. In certain brands of efficient ovens, the muffins bake in around 25 minutes. Keep a watch with the oven light on.
- When you get browning on the top, and the time has crossed 25 minutes, keep a close watch and turn off the oven when neeeded.
- Enjoy delicious Eggless Nutty Banana Muffins.
The muffin pan can be easily replaced with an 8 inch round cake pan to get eggless banana cake.