I had already posted Tamarind Sevai or Puli Sevai in my previous post using rice sticks. But having actually made the fresh Sevai, I decided to go all the way and flavour it with tamarind just like I normally do. There are days, when you really go through the pantry, wondering what to cook, and to get it done with. On those days I simply flavour rice sticks with some home made “pulikachal” or even the store bought 777 variety. It does taste great with the baked vegetable chips from Trader Joes my favourite store!!! Today was one of those days when I really enjoyed my cooking and dedicated myself to it. I do really love to cook and put my heart in to making it for my loved ones…Those days there are no shortcuts and mishaps – It`s traditional cooking and the taste is pretty delectable.
A small gooseberry shaped tamarind ball soaked in 3 spoons of water and warmed.
3-4 red chillies.
A pinch of salt.
Oil & Mustard for seasoning.
- In the mixer, grind soaked tamarind, red chillies, salt and hing to a fine paste.
- In a kadai, add a spoon of oil and when hot, add mustard, curry leaves and this ground paste.
- Saute the paste in the oil until its well cooked. As the tamarind is used raw this helps in cooking the ground paste.
- When well done, switch off the stove and add the sevai.
- Moderation on the salt is required as the Sevai already has the salt in it.
- Alternatively, if you have store bought pulikachal mix simply mix it in to the cooked sevai and add some seasoning with mustard and curry leaves for added flavour and moisture.
- Enjoy hot Puli Sevai with Appalam or Chips or just like that!!!
6 thoughts on “Tamarind Sevai (Real Rice Sevai flavoured with tamarind and spices)”
Wow thats very yummy and quick to make..i love the flavor of tamarind..fab 🙂
Very delectable and yummy looking Sevai…
Thanks Ramya, it was yummy to eat too!!!
Hi Parita. thanks for your comments…
Hi Shoba, I was looking for THE recipe for puli sevai and I was just hitting a wall when
I saw your post. Exactly like my mom used to make.
thanks so much
Thanks. Hope you liked it!