Express Lunch – Delicious Alu Methi Pulav.
The Green Blog Project had set me thinking on my own little contribution to taking this world, in to little baby steps towards a greener tomorrow and a pesticide free tomorrow. I had planted little methi seeds in my own little patio garden in my apartment and I got lovely green tender methi leaves. I had been wanting to use those tiny leaves and this was my chance. I had some leftover rice from dinner and I decided to make Alu Methi Pulav as an express preparation for my husband`s lunch for the morrow.
All the ingredients would ber definitely available in your pantry at all times. The only two spices that are a must are Star Anise and ShahiJeera or Somph. These cant be substituted as they constitute the base flavour for the whole pulav, of course apart from the methi.
1 medium onion sliced long.
2 Potatoes chopped to fine pieces.
3-4 Star Anise.
Small piece of Cinnamon.
1 tsp of Shahi Jeera or Somph.
1 Bay Leaf.
1/2 spoon Red Chilli Powder.
Garam Masala to taste.
Freshly chopped Methi seeds or 1 Tbsp of Kasuri Methi.
4-5 Cashews sliced in to halves.
Salt to taste.
Ghee for garnish.
- Pop the chopped pieces of potatoes in to the microwave after sprinkling a little salt on them. Cook for 3 mins on HIGH. Set aside.
- Take a wok or kadai and add 2 spoons of oil. Add the Star anise, shahijeera, cloves, cinnamon and cashew and allow to saute for a couple of seconds. The jeera and the anise give out a very delectable aroma.
- Now add the chopped onions and saute for a few minutes until the onions turn a little pinkish brown.
- Now add the semi cooked potatoes, turmeric, red chilli powder, salt, garam masala and stir it all in quickly.
- Allow a few more minutes for the spices to sink in to the potatoes.
- Now add the chopped fresh methi/ kasuri methi and stir in well.
- After a few more minutes, add some chopped cilantro and mix well.
- Now add the cooked rice , more salt as required and gently mix it taking care not to break the rice particles.
- Finish off by dolloping a spoon of ghee.
- Serve HOT with raitha. Excellent option for LUNCH along with Raitha or just plain curd.