Navarathri Neivedhyam Day 3 – Arachu Vitta Sundal. ( Garbanzo Beans cooked with ground spices)
Today is the third day of Navarathri and we thought we should make a neivedhyam with the white channa or the garbanzo beans. This is probably the most used and most under-valued in the legumes family.Garbanzos (also called chickpeas) are a good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber, as are most other beans. In addition to lowering cholesterol, garbanzos’ high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising too rapidly after a meal, making these beans an especially good choice for individuals with diabetes, insulin resistance or hypoglycemia. When combined with whole grains such as rice, garbanzos provide virtually fat-free high quality protein. It is also a very rich source of dietary fibre, iron and magnesium.
This variation of Arachu Vitta Sundal is also made by Amma with Mochai ( Field Beans) and its a favourite at home.
White Channa – 2 cups.
Water just enough to cover and cook.
4 spoons Channa Dal.
2 spoons Dhania.
8 red chillies
1 spoon of urad dhal.
1/3 cup of coconut.
Mustard, Curry Leaves, Oil & Hing for seasoning.
- Soak the white channa for at least 6-8 hours prior to preparation of neivedhyam. Cook in the pressure cooking adding water, salt and turmeric for 3 whistles.
- Drain all the cooked channa in a collander and allow to stay.
- Use the water for cooking rasam, sambar etc and also for grinding the “masala” for the sundal.
- In a kadai, add a spoon of oil and when it is hot, add all the ingredients specified for roasting. Roast on a medium flame until the dals get brown and you get a gentle aroma.
- Pop in the mini mixer jar, add fresh grated coconut and using a alittle of the cooked channa water, grind to a very smooth paste.
- Take your kadai/wok and add 2 spoons of oil. Season with mustard, curry leaves and hing and add the cooked white channa beans.
- Stir them gently and now add the ground masala from the mixer jar.
- Mix well and allow to cook for a couple of minutes until all the water is absorbed.
- Delicious Arachu Vitta Sundal is ready for Neivedhyam.
- Moderate the number of red chillies as these were a tad spicy for people like me. People who want the heat from the red chillies are most welcome!
- Follow the same method for sundal made out of Mochai or Field Beans. Very YUM !!!